Expanding sustainable energy in Asia
Promoting mutually beneficial cooperation
The Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS) of Vietnam, Lao PDR, Cambodia, Thailand, Myanmar and China’s Yunnan and Guangxi provinces, was established in 1992 as an Asian Development Bank (ADB) initiative to facilitate and promote mutually beneficial economic cooperation among the GMS countries.
For the expanding energy sector in Asia to be sustainable, its environmental impacts must be accounted for and incorporated into project design and implementation.
With project involvement from 2018 to 2020, Ramboll professionals from France, India, Malaysia and the US worked together on this ADB project, on behalf of EDF, providing four priority regional power interconnections in the Greater Mekong region, to be commissioned from 2022-2030.
Our work included:
- Providing rapid environmental assessments and initial environmental examination reports
- Undertaking a climate change risk assessment
- Providing a social impact assessment including resettlement and indigenous peoples
- Designing project consultation and information disclosure plan
- Conducting socioeconomic surveys
- Conducting a public perception survey to identify public problems and development priorities
- Reviewing government policies and strategies for poverty reduction and gender development
- Conducting a poverty and social analysis
This project supports one of the goals of the GMS nations, to create a sustainable regional power trade to reap economic and technical benefits, and better balance generation resources with electricity needs across national borders.
Energinet: overhauling the Danish grid
Massive overhaul of Denmark’s energy infrastructure. We're helping Energinet. the Danish TSO, to retrofit or construct six substations, enablign the grid to support greater amounts of renewable energy as overall energy demand rises- a cornerstone in the green erngy transition.
Dallas Fort-Worth carbon neutral airport
Dallas Fort-Worth International Airport: setting the stage for net positive. Creating a next-generation sustainability strategy at the first carbon-neutral airport in North America
Empire State Plaza energy master plan
Empire State Plaza: A green energy system for the heart of Albany. We're devlpoing the energy master plan for this iconic and istoric building, helping slash carbon emissions and support the state's climate goals.