Without sustainable innovation to resolve these challenges, we face scarcity of every kind — shortages of arable land and food, potable water, energy, minerals and other vital resources. These circumstances necessitate going farther afield to access and extract resources, for example, in the Arctic, where climate change opens up access to new natural resources.
Ramboll helps private- and public-sector clients to define and achieve environmental and social best practices related to the sourcing, production and use of food, water, minerals and other resources. If we can use resources more efficiently, it will give us more for less. By creating solutions that take advantage of both new technology and tried and tested solutions, Ramboll contributes to improved living standards, while taking into account climate change and resource scarcity.
The international mining industry is increasingly held to the very highest standards of environmental and social performance because it is compelled continually to seek access to mineral resources that are often held by sovereign nations, and for which diverse and often competing land uses exist. In order to be economically viable, mining operations must have a clear vision of the environmental and social issues associated with all phases of mine life and must establish robust planning and change management practices that effectively balance the complex and often competing economic, social and environmental aspects of the mining project.
Cost-effectiveness and environmental and social sustainability are all important goals to achieve, and as a partner for the mining industry, we are able to build a bridge between the project, the authorities and the local community. We have developed our international mining services consultancy with a view to providing a range of services that is relevant over the entire mine life cycle:
Prospecting | Planning | Establishing | Operating | Closing or Divestiture | Land Restoration
Our holistic project management, technical and environmental services include:
- Geological, geophysical and geotechnical investigations
- Environmental and social baseline studies and impact assessments
- Logistic studies and infrastructure development (i.e., transport and energy)
- ESHS management systems development and mitigation planning
- Air quality services
- Watershed analysis, permitting and natural resource valuation services
- Risk assessment and risk management
- ICMC certification and management support
- Energy conservation and carbon reduction
- Integrated industrial wastewater management
- EHS due diligence and acquisition audits
- Detailed planning of mine closure and decommissioning
From this base of technical capability and experience, we are committed to partnering with our clients to assess, manage and reduce or eliminate environmental, social and health and safety risk and impacts throughout our clients’ business life cycles — from acquisition, permitting and construction through operations, to restructuring, decommissioning and closure, or divestiture.
Effective management of mine waste is a major environmental and safety issue. Over the last decade, the development of Paste Technology, which enables waste materials to be disposed of in slopes rather than dams, has been part of the mine waste solution. This technology also minimizes issues such as water and soil contamination, as well as impacts on neighbouring populations. The Ramboll Foundation, Ramboll in Sweden, Finland and Norway, together with Norrbotten County Research Council and the Luleå University of Technology are conducting a research project within paste technology.
Oil and Gas Exploration and Production
Regulatory communities and the public are increasingly focusing on and regulating activities surrounding the exploration and production of oil and gas resources—most recently unconventional oil and gas (e.g., shale gas) extracted using hydraulic fracturing (fracking).
Throughout its history, Ramboll has brought to this industry a sophisticated understanding of the environmental, public health, legal and social issues associated with upstream, midstream and downstream activities. Our engineers, scientists and policy experts work at the vanguard of developing science and regulations to provide proactive, rather than reactive solutions to our clients.
Spanning the operational needs of multinational oil and gas companies, our services include:
- Environmental impact assessment
- Environmental permitting and compliance support
- Investigation and remediation planning
- Risk management planning
- Expert assistance in complex litigation and regulatory matters
- M&A due diligence
- Technology assessment
- VOC and GHG emissions trading
Effective waste management is central to a sustainable future and critical for the conservation of limited natural resources. Not only can waste be an important resource in its own right, but effective waste management is critical for the conservation of our limited natural resources — helping to pave the way to a sustainable future. As the volume of waste produced globally grows, so does the urgency with which we must focus on recycling, re-use and energy recovery.
Equally important is the implementation of smart solutions that minimize waste generation, as well as mitigate emissions of greenhouse gases from any waste. Drawing upon a multidisciplinary team of experts, Ramboll is able to apply specialist knowledge gained over more than four decades working with regulatory authorities, industrial customers and private and public organizations worldwide.
Ramboll develops innovative solutions to a broad range of waste management needs of our private- and public-sector clients. Our comprehensive services include:
- Waste management planning
- Waste management and landfill engineering
- Waste minimization, recycling and reuse
- Hazardous, radioactive and solid waste management
- Conceptual and detailed planning, design, construction and advisory
services on waste treatment and disposal facilities and operations
- Landfill development and redevelopment
- Design of biocovers for landfill closure
- Construction and closure management
- Wastewater-leachate management
- Emissions reductions generation by methane capture
- Product life cycle/stewardship evaluations
- Upgrading legislation and environmental standards
- Institutional capacity building
- Master planning and strategy development
- Waste quality surveys and analytics
- Recycling studies on industrial by-products
- Transport simulation and optimization
- Feasibility studies
- Site investigations and facility localization
- Environmental impact assessment of waste projects
We work closely with our clients to establish project goals early, so that subsequent activities are directed toward their efficient, environmentally sound and timely resolution. Our successful track record of combining our strong risk-based skills and technology know-how has established us as a premier consultant in this arena.
We are familiar with the relevant environmental regulations and critical issues that impact our clients' costs, public image and liabilities. Bringing together our knowledge of waste management practices in a broad range of industry and manufacturing sectors with our expertise in engineering, technology, risk assessment, product stewardship and sustainability enables us to develop cost-effective and sustainable waste management strategies that meet regulatory requirements and support the protection of public health and the environment.
Planning & Urban Design