The 1.5km long DIFC Truck and Services Tunnel is an open cut structure. The upper level contains the services required to run the tunnel with a retail structure constructed above.
Ramboll was specifically appointed to design the more complex sections of the tunnel where substantial transfer structures are required to carry high vertical loads from the commercial and retail buildings which span it.
A significant value engineering exercise was undertaken, resulting in key modifications to the structural layout which rationalised the load paths and minimised long-term deflection. Ramboll worked closely with the main contractor to agree a construction sequence that ensured the buildability of the post-tensioning works. Considerable efforts were made to optimise the post-tensioning and reinforcement to mitigate cracking due to shrinkage and maximise the efficiency of the post-tension usage.
Ramboll’s responsibilities included:
- Design of horizontal elements including post-tensioned slabs and beams
- Design of transfer structures
- Advice on health and safety and buildability of post-tensioned works
- Design drawings for post-tensioned works
- Site inspections and construction liaison