Examining the potential for wind energy in central Germany.
In an early state of the project local power authorities assigned CUBE (now Ramboll) to conduct a spatial analysis of several districts in North Hesse, Germany, in order to calculate the overall wind potential.
Based on our experience of a huge amount of existing wind farms in the vicinity, we could provide first information about economic features (wind speed, energy yield) of future wind farm projects and a “ranking” of several project areas.
After initial estimations for more concrete wind farm projects near the city of Kassel a measuring campaign for at least eight projects (mast, mast + LiDAR, LiDAR stand-alone) was conducted, which fed into wind energy assessments to be conform to actual technical guidelines and to get permission to build. Both analysis of third party measurements and technical realization, supervision and final wind assessment were subtasks.
Additionally CUBE conducted several analyses examining environmental aspects like visual impacts (photo simulations, spatial visual analyses, shadow flickering, noise immissions etc.). In this way our client got a huge amount of permission relevant services and reports out of one hand.
Technical data of implemented projects (other projects are ongoing):
- Total rated power output Rödeser Berg: Four WTG (wind turbine generators) (Enercon E-101-3.0MW, 135m hub height, 101m rotor diameter, 12.2MW nominal output).
- Total rated power output Niestetal: Two WTG (Vestas V112-3.0MW, 140m hub height, 112m rotor diameter, 6.0MW nominal output).
- Total rated power output Söhrewald: Five WTG (Vestas V112-3.0MW, 140m hub height, 112m rotor diameter, 15.0MW nominal output).
- Total rated power output Stiftswald: Nine WTG (Enercon E115-3000, 149m hub height, 115m rotor diameter, 27.0MW nominal output).
- Total rated power output Helsa-Rohrberg: Five WTG (Enercon E115-3000, 149m hub height, 115m rotor diameter, of 15.2MW nominal output).
- Total rated power output Kreuzstein: Ten WTG (Enercon E115-3000, 149m hub height, 115m rotor diameter, 30.5MW nominal output).
Ramboll’s services included:
- Initial estimations for energy yield (focus 1–10 turbines)
- Spatial analysis of wind potential
- Design of measuring campaign (mast + LiDAR), building application for mast
- Analyses of wind data/generating wind energy expertises (incl. resource calculation and optimisation
- Examination of environmental impacts (visuality/photo simulation, noise emission, shadow-flickering)
On parts of the project, CUBE partnered with Fraunhofer institute/IWES (Kassel).