Air Quality Assessments
Our team of air quality consultants has a wealth of experience undertaking a broad range of air quality assessments, including air dispersion modelling and air quality monitoring, across a broad range of sectors including resources and energy, manufacturing, waste management, agribusiness, transport and infrastructure, property and government for Australia and New Zealand.
Through collaboration with our global network of air quality and health sciences experts, we provide the highest level of technical expertise and can tap into the knowledge gained from our international project experience.
Air Quality Services in Australia and New ZealandIn Australia and New Zealand, Ramboll Environ offers the following air quality services:
- Air quality modelling
- Air quality impact assessment, including health risk assessment
- Emissions estimation, monitoring and inventories
- Odour and dust assessments
- Air quality forecast and control systems
- Incident investigation and analysis
- Regulatory compliance and reporting
- Expert services for litigation
Air Quality Modelling
Ramboll experts are industry leaders in air dispersion, ambient air quality and meteorological modelling. We select dispersion models carefully, with an eye to meeting specific project requirements. Our air quality consultants have expertise in all the air dispersion and meteorological models commonly used in Australia and New Zealand for regulatory assessments, including:
- Steady-state plume models: AERMOD, DISPMOD
- Non-steady-state three-dimensional rel="noopener noreferrer" models: TAPM, rel="noopener noreferrer" CALPUFF rel="noopener noreferrer"
- Photochemical models: CAMx
- Traffic rel="noopener noreferrer" air dispersion models: CALINE3 rel="noopener noreferrer" and CAL3QHC/CAL3QHCR
- Hazardous gas release models: PHAST rel="noopener noreferrer"
- Complex local air flow using Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
- Weather Research and Forecasting (WRF)
Select Project Experience
Alcoa of Australia Ltd, Western Australia
Ramboll has assisted Alcoa of Australia Ltd (Alcoa) over many years with air quality impact and health risk assessments for the three alumina refineries located in the southwest region of Western Australia, its smelters in Victoria, and the Anglesea Power Station. Projects have included the proposed expansion of the Wagerup Alumina Refinery, the Pinjarra Alumina Refinery Efficiency Upgrade, the Kwinana Alumina Refinery Liquor Burner Emissions Reduction Project, the development and implementation of an air quality control strategy for the Anglesea Power Station, and health risk assessments for the Portland Smelter.
Kalgoorlie Consolidated Gold Mine (KCGM), Western Australia
Ramboll developed and assisted with the implementation and ongoing management and continuous improvement of the KCGM Air Quality Control Strategy for the Gidji Roasters until they were shutdown in 2015. Ramboll is actively involved in the development and implementation of the Fimiston Air Quality Management Plan, which focuses primarily on the site’s dust management practices.
Ramboll conducted comprehensive dispersion modelling of alternatives for Technip as part of Woodside Australia's (Otway Gas) front-end engineering design (FEED) study. Ramboll has also undertaken studies reviewing Woodside's ambient benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene and xylene (BTEX) monitoring programme.
Quadrant Energy, Western Australia
Quadrant Energy engaged Ramboll to provide technical advice and expertise related to atmospheric emissions from their Varanus Island (VI) operations and the renewal of their Environment License under the Department of Environment Regulation (DER) Re-Engineering for Industry Regulation and Environment (REFIRE) approach. The project scope includes air dispersion modelling of emissions from point and fugitive emission sources on VI.