An opening has arisen for a senior international biodiversity specialist to be based in the UK, preferably to be located in Bath / Bristol. A wide range of ecological experience would be welcome, although having a background in field based ecology research or surveys would be an advantage, as would a particular technical specialism (e.g. marine biology, botany, ornithology etc). The successful candidate should have a thorough understanding of the interpretation and application of financial lending standards (e.g. International Finance Corporation (IFC) Performance Standards 6, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) Performance Requirements) and a full working knowledge of international conservation frameworks and policies. Although based in UK, the role will involve working as a key member of the global international impact assessment practice area and frequent international travel will likely be required. The successful candidate will work on a range of projects, including infrastructure, mining, oil and gas, and power (including renewables). Professional-level French language ability would be desirable.
Elements of the role include:
- Interpretation and application of financial lending standards (e.g. IFC PS 6);
- Field site visits, likely to include Africa, Russian CIS and Asia;
- Design, review and implementation of ecological impact assessment, as well as design and review of biodiversity baseline studies;
- Design and review of biodiversity action plans and biodiversity offset strategies;
- Writing of reports for a range of end uses (e.g. due diligence, Environmental Impact Assessment, etc.);
- Preparation of proposals showing understanding of the needs of clients; and
- Client and project team liaison.
The successful candidate will have an advanced understanding of the necessary guidelines, regulations and practice, be self-confident, diligent, proactive, take initiative, willing to work flexible hours to meet requirements of role and able to build working relationships with colleagues and clients. By the very nature of the work, it is essential that the candidate will have strong organizational skills and excellent attention to detail.
- Appropriate degree in ecology or similar is required;
- Familiarity with international biodiversity, natural resource and livelihood issues, especially in the developing world;
- Excellent ecology field skills;
- Highly competent and efficient report writing skills;
- Excellent analytical skills, ability to think critically and conduct research from scientific literature and web sources;
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English;
- Willingness to work globally; and
- Well organized and able to priorities their own workload with minimal supervision.
- Detailed understanding of the interpretation and application of financial lending standards (e.g. IFC Performance Standards 6);
- Working knowledge of international conservation frameworks and policies;
- Working knowledge of biodiversity offset design and implementation;
- Masters’ degree or equivalent post-graduate studies in relevant disciplines;
- Experience of working as ecological consultant in the UK; and
- Professional level non-English language abilities, particularly French.
Applying is easy
Firstly, upload your CV directly or by using LinkedIn.
If you upload your CV directly, you will be asked to confirm your personal details.
Secondly, upload your cover letter.
We look forward to read your CV and application.