Structural Design Engineer
We are looking for an experienced and talented Structural Engineer at Design level to join our Building Structures team in Birmingham. The team is currently working with a number of architects on an extremely strong portfolio of Local, National and International projects including the Paradise Circus redevelopment in the heart of Birmingham, Energy from Waste facilities in Gloucester and London and a major new hospital in Denmark.
We have a number of high profile projects that are under construction or have recently been completed including the largest Passivhaus building in the UK, significant heritage projects and the conversion of a former printing works in the centre of Birmingham into a 6 storey basement car park supporting a 20 storey mixed use development. Our projects typically range from £5m to £250m and we work across numerous sectors and building types including Education, Healthcare, Commercial, Residential, Energy from Waste and Heritage.
Our team is leading the development of BIM techniques and strategies within Ramboll and we have expertise in DfMA (Design for Manufacture and Assembly) and Advanced Structural Analysis techniques.
In addition to the above we have a number of exciting new opportunities and are therefore looking to recruit an experienced Structural Design Engineer.
Ramboll is a leading engineering, design and consultancy company founded in Denmark in 1945. With close to 13,000 experts in 35 countries, including 1,200 in the UK, we emphasise local experience combined with a global knowledge-base.
Owned by the Ramboll Foundation and our staff, high ethical standards as well as responsibility towards society and employees are ingrained in our cultural DNA. Ramboll was value-based long before it came into fashion and we live our values every day. We constantly strive to achieve inspiring and exacting solutions that make a genuine difference to our customers, end-users and society as a whole.
Main Role Responsibilities
- Agree design philosophy/design fundamentals
- Structural analysis, design and FEM modelling
- Building survey
- Construction drawing review
- Site liaison
- Mentoring of junior members
- Contribute to the development of company procedures by taking an active role in task groups and team meetings
Required qualifications, skills and knowledge
- Ability to design reinforced concrete, steel, unreinforced masonry and timber
- Ability to carry out linear and nonlinear static analysis
- Experience in assessment, retrofit and alteration of existing structures
- Experience of construction supervision, building investigation and structural testing
- Highly skilled in technical report writing
- Track record of working on a variety of buildings
- Be proactive in addressing problem issues, presenting and pushing solutions
- Qualified to degree level is essential, further education (e.g. PhD) would be advantageous
- Additional specialisms (e.g. response spectrum and pushover analysis, durability assessment of concrete structures, forensic investigation of building failures, seismic assessment) would be advantageous
What we offer
- Competitive salary and benefits
- Excellent career growth and development opportunities
- Be part of a dynamic, expanding team in a rapidly growing sector within the UK
- High level of exposure to international expertise in the sector and opportunity to work on international projects
Ramboll UK Ltd is an equal opportunities employer.
Apply before 2018-03-01